History

A BRIEF HISTORY OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH NEW BADEN

         

“Mary Elizabeth Becktold said that in those days it was not safe for women and children to go to town on Saturdays.  The men would get drunk and wild.  She went to Schultz Store and talked to “Op” Smith about starting a Sunday school.  He agreed.  Op Smith and Mary Elizabeth Becktold told everyone they saw that they were going to have Sunday school on Sundays at the New Baden School house.  They had a large crowd show up.  She and Mr. Smith taught the lesson and Mary Elizabeth led the singing.  In 1911, a revival was held in New Baden, led by Isaiah Watson, an associational missionary from Bryan, Texas.  The revival was held under a tent pitched beside the schoolhouse.  He expressed concern that a permanent work be established in the New Baden community.  In the fall of 1912, New Baden Baptist Church was formed.  Mary Elizabeth was among the charter members.  Her husband, Godfrey Becktold joined later.  Godfrey and his son Alva constructed the original church building in 1912 and 1913.  Godfrey and Alva were carpenters by trade.  The church was built through contributions and donated labor of the people of New Baden.” (Taken from a history of the Becktold family)

            March 13, 1912---The deed shows that the first property was acquired from K.F. Peters & wife M.C. Peters at a cost of $100.  It indicates that deacons W.R. Marshall and E.T. Griffin made the transaction for the newly organized New Baden Baptist Church.